Winning and losing money are often accompanied by a lot of emotions. That tension makes gambling and betting attractive to many people. But it also makes it risky. You are completely immersed in the game, so you no longer have control over your playing behavior. The longer and more often you play, the greater the risks.
Gambling problems can weigh heavily on your life and that of those around you. Problems can arise on several levels:
Often gamblers want to win back the money lost. This can quickly lead to money problems and debt. Some gamblers forfeit most of their salary or pocket money. Or they will borrow money from friends, at home, or at the bank. This is often accompanied by lying and making up excuses in order to get money.
Problems with work or school
Gambling and betting can take a lot of time. This leaves less time for school or work. Your thoughts are increasingly dominated by playing, figuring out ways to win, make money or pay off debt.
Anyone who spends too much time on games of chance runs the risk of neglecting their social and family contacts. This can lead to problems at home, at work, or at school. Financial problems can also weigh heavily on relationships with family and friends.
Even though you don’t really ingest a liquid, powder, or other substance when gambling, dependence (or addiction) can arise just like with alcohol and drugs. Gambling in online sports betting in Malaysia can be so exciting that you forget everything around you and go into a daze. In the long run, that kick can become more important than winning or losing. You can even become mentally dependent on it. To give an example: in sports betting, someone will not only bet on well-known teams or competitions but also on totally unknown ones. Quitting gambling or betting can seem like drug withdrawal for some. This can even include withdrawal symptoms, such as sleeping problems, fatigue, tremors, sweating, headaches, stomach and intestinal complaints, aggression, anxiety, depressed feelings, suspicion, and feelings of inferiority.
What determines the risk?
Some games of chance involve more risks than others. That depends on a number of factors:
- The time between betting and the moment you know whether you have won or not. The shorter this time, the faster one can gamble again and the easier it can get out of hand.
- Whether as a player you get the impression that you influence the result.
- How big are the stake and possible profit? A game becomes more attractive when the stakes are small and the potential profit is large.
- How often do you win?
- How often does one have the feeling of just losing?
- The accessibility of a game. Do you have to go to a casino or arcade, or can you just play it on your smartphone?
- The atmosphere is created in the environment where the game is played. Think of the use of color, luxurious decoration, and sound signals when someone wins.